Painting acrylic onto wood

During my christmas holidays, it's been non-stop revision for me, unfortunately. However, this includes me developing my GCSE Art coursework. My project is based around 'Natural Form' and I have branched off into the spiritual topic of Thailand. I voyaged over to Thailand this summer with my family and was completely inspired by its beauty, both naturally and architecturally.

So, in a nutshell, I decided to paint a temple, using acrylics, onto a piece of plywood. I chose wood as my material because i have also been exploring the belief of 'Wabi Sabi'. Now, this is an ancient Buddhist/Japanese view centred on the acceptance of transience and imperfection in nature. It sounds complicated, but in the form of art,"If an object or expression can bring about, within us, a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing, then that object could be said to be wabi-sabi." The idea of temples is already very spiritual and authentic, and the wood comes in along the way. The wood is obviously not a smooth surface and there are little crevices and splinters, but painting it whilst embracing these imperfections, is representing 'Wabi Sabi' in art.

Here is how my painting progressed:


Stage 1:




Firstly, I drew the basic shapes 
and outlines of the building to 
the correct scale. This enabled 
me to get an idea of where to paint
and get all the proportions right 
before painting it.






Stage 2:





Then, I began to put the colour on.
I decided to paint it quite thickly,
however, some parts were rather
watery, so, bled into the wood. But
I decided to take advantage of this 
effect.







Stage 3:





After having done that, I carried
on layering the paint and developing
the piece. What I liked doing was
blending the colours from their original
colour into a really dark shade where
it created a shadow. Getting the effect
makes it look really effective.







Final Product:


Popular posts from this blog

Mandy Saligari, a true inspiration.

Is Fashion my Forte?

An outfit for an 18th Birthday Bash