April 2020 Favourites

I think there's something so glorious about reflecting on the things that have made you happy for the past month; the things that have brought little rays of sunshine to your days. Now, that may seem a little overboard (maybe "ray of sunshine" is shooting the line a little) given that many of these things in my favourites this month are trivial little items or rituals that would otherwise be deemed ordinary yet in this current environment we are living in, I wholeheartedly believe it's  imperative (for our sanity!!!) to focus on life's little pleasures, no matter how tiny they really are. 

I've separated my favourites into categories to make it easier to read but also to satisfy my inner list-making fanatic (am I a weirdo?) because well, let's face it, I have far too much time on my hands. I invite you to try some of these things for yourself if you haven't already and if you watch any of my TV favourites, let me just say, you're very welcome.  Each series is its own little masterpiece. Enjoy.

Fashion

Every day I change from the pyjamas I've just slept in to a new pair of pyjamas for the day ahead of sitting at home. No fashion news to report here, unfortunately. Can my tracksuit bottoms be a favourite?

Beauty

Tropics has long been the prevailing skincare brand in my routine, but more often than not (especially when I'm very busy), applying a toner to my face will completely slip my mind. However, seeing that I now have more time in the morning to dedicate to my skincare routine, I have been using this toner every single day since lockdown began and it will now permanently be an essential part of my routine. One spritz of this (or 5) after cleansing and my skin feels instantly refreshed, providing a perfect base for my moisturiser. Tropics are a cruelty-free brand that also prioritises using natural ingredients in order to champion for sustainability. It's bloody brilliant.


Unfortunately for me, I left all of my beloved skincare products in my apartment in Paris because the idiot inside of me didn't think to pack my mini suitcase appropriately in the event of having to stay in the UK. I think I was in denial. This called for some serious improvisation on my part and I thought I would return to my humble, teenage roots by choosing to buy Neutrogena products for lockdown (mainly because my skincare shopping experience was confined to the beauty aisle in my local Sainsbury's). I used Neutrogena during my adolescent years because the brand was recommended to me by a cousin who was a beauty therapist at the time, therefore, her word was gospel. Since using it again at the grand old age of 21, I have genuinely been pleasantly surprised by the relatively clear skin that has followed its use. I've had a few spots pop up (pardon the pun), but that's probably due to the inordinate amount of chocolate bars that have been consumed thus far. As a cost-effective alternative, I would say this isn't a bad choice.


The price of this hair mask is extortionate. And I mean essentially daylight robbery (okay, I may be being a tad melodramatic.) However, I received a mini 15ML tester-sized bottle in last year's beauty advent calendar, so I have had the privilege of experiencing this products gloriousness without the astronomical (I'm really milking it now) price-tag that comes along with it. After just one use, I definitely noticed a difference to my hair. I wouldn't say my hair is in a particularly bad condition, however this mask brings such smoothness and shine that it would be unfair to brand it as just a fad. Whether I would pay full price for an entire pot of it I don't know, but I would absolutely recommend it to anyone with badly damaged locks.

Lifestyle

Sadly, we lost my great-grandfather in April which, especially in this current situation, was extremely difficult to cope with. We are fortunate enough to have some of the kindest friends you could ever wish for, and we were sent flowers from 3 different people, all from Bloom&Wild. It seems to be a popular choice and we can see why. Aside from the astounding generosity that was shown by being sent these blooms, we have been incredibly surprised by the longevity of the bouquets. They have lasted more than 2 weeks and are still as fragrant and fresh as they were on day 1! I will be using this company to send flowers in the future.

Apart from University making me slightly resent reading, when I'm reading a book for personal pleasure, I absolutely love having something interesting to sink my teeth into. My sister actually bought this book but I took the liberty of reading it myself as I resonated a lot with just the title, so I was eager to find out what was inside. I found it to be an empowering book, full of self-improvement and mindfulness ideas, both of which are very up my alley and I felt better for reading it, which is always the goal when I choose a book.

Smoothie Bowls
Keeping nourished and healthy during quarantine has been a great priority of mine (chocolate bars aside) as I want to avoid falling into the trap of eating out of sheer boredom. Breakfast is my all-time favourite meal of the day and there is nothing more relaxing than blending up a nutritious smoothie bowl and taking it into the garden to enjoy (I am very aware that I am extremely fortunate to have that as an option). My favourite fruits to blend up are raspberries and bananas, and I have been enjoying the blueberry Skyr yoghurts to add the luscious thickness. Top it off with peanut butter, granola, fresh or dried fruits and a dusting of chia seeds and that my friends is what you call a smoothie bowl.

TV

1. Unorthodox
The sheer talent of the actors is astonishing in this series. I was blown away by the main protagonist, Shira Haas, and the accuracy of her portrayal of Esty. I loved the informative nature of this series - I learnt a great deal about the Hasidic Jewish community and was astounded by the accuracy of the costumes, rituals and the overall lifestyle that encompasses this religion. The storyline itself was fascinating and dramatic, and I would recommend this to anyone who loves learning a little bit whilst enjoying a drama series.

2. After Life
I haven't seen many of Ricky Gervais' films or shows as I didn't think his humour was my cup of tea. However, after watching this, my opinion has done a complete 180 and I think he is somewhat of a genius. One minute I was in tears and the next I was howling with laughter and I have never seen anything that can change tone so quickly, so seamlessly. It was a beautiful blend of heartache and humour and I now regard Gervais as a little bit of a legend.

1. The Nest
If you want something fairly gripping to get into, I would recommend The Nest. A series full of questionable decisions, desperate characters and twisting plotlines, this is quite a fun one to watch. The acting is credible and I also enjoyed the storyline and deciphering the meaning of it all.

2. Normal People
My mum and I became very quickly hooked to this and binge watched it in an entire afternoon/evening. I would describe this as a very sad love story, full of pain, misunderstanding and heartache. What I loved the most was the depth of the characters that we were able to witness and also how they evolved over time. It gave relevance to young love, which I think often gets disregarded or glossed over, and this series really did it justice. I wouldn't recommend watching this with your parents as there is a lot of full-frontal nudity and I'd like to spare you from that soul-wrenching awkwardness.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts