Getting My Mojo Back

This last year has been a pretty big one for me. Finishing my four-year degree during a global pandemic, graduating and entering the working world, there have been some major milestones that I have accomplished. So, with my head buried deep into textbooks (digital ones, of course, what even is a hard copy?) and pondering over job applications, it's safe to say that my blog, like many of the other joyous things in my life, took a bit of a backseat, as they naturally do when you're a final year student (sorry for the negative angle but it's true - final year is bloody hard!). When I say took a backseat, I mean literally at the very b-a-c-k, without a seatbelt. Essentially, it died a little bit. 

I have recently had a few friends and family members ask me about my writing and quizzing me on why I don't blog anymore. Whenever this conversation has started, I've tended to respond with a nonchalant 'Oh, I just don't do that anymore'. I can feel that this response became a bit of an automatic reflex that I'd whip out whenever the subject came up. Even questions about old hobbies that I used to do and absolutely love, I would just brush it off and change the topic. 'I don't do it anymore...' - end of conversation.

Lately, I have had some situations crop up that have forced me to change my perspective and do some hard reflection on what makes me happy. Might sound like some deep stuff and let me tell you, when you start philosophising what the meaning of your life is, it does become very slightly overwhelming. Ok, I lied, it gets very overwhelming and usually sends me off into an existential crisis that takes longer than I would like to admit to recover from. Ah, the joys of being a young twenty-something in the twenty-first century. 

This period of contemplation has led me to the very simple conclusion that my 'I don't do that anymore' reflex is actually quite a sad response to have. I couldn't even dignify my statement with any reasoning, I merely stated the fact and didn't think to question why this was the case. I then proceeded to pretend like I was content and satisfied with the fact I had let my writing slide. Well, I call bullshit on that. I'm not content and certainly not satisfied with the fact that I don't write anymore. Writing soothes me, is my happy place and, until I got myself a job that involves a heavy amount of copy-writing, was what I did to escape from my day-to-day (no regrets, I love the copy-writing part of my job). So, I've decided to allow myself that joy again and get back into my blog! Is that a gasp of excitement I hear? (In my own brain - yes - but that still counts in my book)

To anyone reading this (hi mum!), feel free to sign up to notifications because let me tell you, I'm brushing the cobwebs off of that little bell icon and you'll be hearing a lot more from me. Shrugging off my blog and neglecting to talk about it, well, I don't do that anymore ...

Comments

Popular Posts